Thursday, August 15, 2013

Anchorage - Michelle Shocked - Song exercise for Past simple

A short song exercise for elementary to pre-intermediate learners to practise basic Past simple forms.

Michelle Shocked is an American singer-songwriter, who was born in Dallas, Texas in 1962. Her first US success came with her 1988 debut album Short Sharp Shocked, which this song comes from.
The song's theme is about a young woman who has given up her life as a punk in New York City in exchange for a life in geographically remote Alaska. (Adapted from Wikipedia)

Anchorage - Michelle Shocked

ExerciseChoose suitable verbs from the boxes, and use them in the Past simple to fill the gaps.
be   ·   come   ·   mail   ·   take   ·   walk   ·   write  
I time out to write to my old friend
I across that burning bridge
my letter off to Dallas
But her reply from Anchorage, Alaska
She said:
Hey girl, it's about time you
It's been over two years you know, my old friend
Take me back to the days of the foreign telegrams
And the all-night rock and rollin'... hey Shell
We wild then
be   ·   get   ·   lose   ·   move   ·   play   ·   see   ·   seem  
Chorus
Hey Shell, you know it's kind of funny
Texas always so big
But you know you're in the largest state in the union
When you're anchored down in Anchorage
Hey Girl, I think the last time I you
on me and Leroy's wedding day
What the name of that love song they ?
I forgot how it goes
I don't recall how it goes
Anchorage
Anchored down in Anchorage
Leroy a better job so we
Kevin a tooth now he's started school
I got a brand new eight month old baby girl
I sound like a housewife
Hey Shell, I think I'm a housewife
Hey Girl, what's it like to be in New York?
New York City - imagine that!
Tell me, what's it like to be a skateboard punk rocker?
Leroy says "Send a picture"
Leroy says "Hello"
Leroy says "Oh, keep on rocking, girl"
"yeah, keep on rocking"
Chorus
Oh, Anchorage
Anchored down in Anchorage
Oh, Anchorage
Now check with the song to see if you were right. You can listen to it Michelle Shocked's page at MySpace. There doesn't seem to a version by Michelle Shocked available on YouTube, but there's quite a good cover version, uploaded by sdatgoldegg.
Click on one of the the links and it will open in a new tab, start the song and come back here to check.
Note that one of the verbs will be different from what you've written, as she sings it in a non-standard form, which happens quite often in songs.

Links

No comments:

Post a Comment